Saturday, July 19, 2008

Rough night at VBS

Ashlyn finally had her first trip to Urgent Care this week. With how active Ashlyn has always been, I am really surprised our first visit didn't happen earlier. While Ashlyn was at Vacation Bible School, she was apparently playing "Ring Around the Rosie" and got a little carried away. She fell and hit her head on the corner of a table. She got a pretty large cut on the back of her ear, going down about half of where her ear attaches to her head. After the chruch finally got a hold of us( I left my cell phone in the car while Eric and I were having dinner... oops!) we took her to Urgent Care. The first place we went to said that she needed stitches but that they were unable to do it. Eric called around and found a Pediatric Urgent Care that would do stitches so I dropped Eric, Abby, and Ellie off at home and Ashlyn and I went. While we were waiting the nurse came out to look at it and made a "ooh" sound and walked off. I wasn't quite sure what to think of that. A few minutes later we were called back and told that the doctor needed to look at it to see if he would be able to do the stitches or if we would need to go to the ER. The doctor came in and was very wishy, washy and not confident... not what you want as a parent. He said that he could not do the stitches because of the location of the cut and that she would either need to go to the ER and be sedated to do the stitches or he could "try" and use glue and glue it back together. He said that the glue would "probably" work but that she couldn't pull or play with it at all... not something I could garauntee with a three year old. During this time I kept thinking to myself where is the confident doctor that says this is my diagnosis and this is what I recommend for treatment. Of course, I didn't want to sedate Ashlyn, but I also wanted to make sure the incision was taken care of. I decided to give the glue a try and so far it looks like it is working well. The doctor did feel like he was able to close the incision well, with the glue, and that it should be fine. They put this bandage on her to protect it and so that she wouldn't play with it in her sleep. This picture was taken when we got home at around 11pm. Amazingly, she had this big smile on her face most of the night. She is one tough little girl!

1 comment:

Happy Four said...

Ashlyn (and parents) you are so brave. We pray you are healing and feeling better.